The Farmington Friends of the Library is an active group of library supporters that partner with FCL to expand community access to Library collections, events, and services. Our work supports the vibrant, connected community fostered by the Library and invests in innovative programming and initiatives that meet evolving community needs. Your support for the Friends is an investment in the the Library's mission:
We engage our diverse community through resources and experiences that celebrate ideas, inspire creativity, and enrich lives.
Programs and Initiatives
During the 2022-2023 fiscal year, the Friends donated over $90,000 to support Library services and events. Projects funded by the Friends include:
- Author Events: Literature is a vital part of culture, and local author events contribute to the cultural enrichment of a community. We believe in bringing authors and readers together in a shared space, allowing for meaningful discussions, equitable access to culture, and a sense of connection among those with a shared interest in literature and writing. Throughout the years, the Friends have sponsored author visits with David Maraniss (author of Once in a Great City), E. Lockhart (author of We Were Liars), Lynne Rae Perkins (author of Criss Cross), and Marie Benedict (author of Her Hidden Genius). The Friends also sponsor the annual Farmington Author and Book Festival in downtown Farmington.
- Battle of the Books: This annual event for local students in grades 6-8 encourages reading and gives recognition to those who like to read. Up to sixty teams of students read from a selected list of books and then participate in a trivia battle where they compete by answering questions based on the books.
- Summer Reading Program: Each summer, the entire community is encouraged to read, complete special missions, and attend Library events while earning points toward fun prizes! In 2023, the community logged over 33,000 collective hours of reading!
- WiFi Hotspots: These devices are popular items in the electronic devices collection that provide internet access to community members anywhere, anytime.
- Seed Library: The Seed Library collection provides free access to gardening resources and seeds that can be successfully grown in the local community. Patrons are encouraged to save their seeds at the end of the growing season and return them to the Library to be placed in the following year's collection.
- Library of Things: A 2022 Giving Tuesday campaign by the Friends kickstarted this unique collection of kitchen items, outdoor games and sports kits, arts & crafts resources, electronic devices, and more.
Don't miss the upcoming Evening with Angeline Boulley on October 16, 2023! The Friends are please to host New York Times bestselling author Angeline Boulley who will be discussing her recent books, Firekeeper's Daughter and Warrior Girl Unearthed. Following her talk, there will be a question and answer session and book signing. If you are interested in purchasing copies of her books, The Book Beat will be selling them at this event. This program is being offered in-person and remotely via Zoom. Registration is required.
Ways to Give
The Friends raise money through annual membership dues, ongoing used book sales at both locations, and large semi-annual multi-day book sales. To become a Friend or make a donation, fill out the secure online membership form. You may also download and fill out the Membership Form and send it together with your check or credit card information to our office:
Farmington Friends of the Library
c/o 32737 West 12 Mile Road
Farmington Hills, MI 48334
Please note that Friends whose cumulative contributions reach $2,500 are recognized with a personalized bookplate on the Donor Wall at the entrance of the FCL Farmington Hills location.
The Friends have earned the 2023 Candid's Silver Seal of Transparency.
Contact the Friends
Please direct questions or comments about the Farmington Friends of the Library and our ongoing programs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Would you like to volunteer your time to an upcoming event?
We think the best way to get to know your Friends is by working together, side-by-side on some of the activities we sponsor throughout the year. If you have time to participate, please let us know.