Welcome to the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten early literacy program! FCL is excited to offer this wonderful program that will encourage you to read to your child and help them be better prepared for school.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten would not be possible without the support of the Friends!
- Visit the Children’s Information Desk at either Library location to receive an informational booklet and a record sheet for your first 100 books.
- Start reading! Librarians will be happy to help you find great books
at the Library, or you can read from your home library. Rereading the
same book counts! Be sure to mark a space on the sheet provided for
every book read.
- Once you have read the first 100 books, return to the Library with your
completed registration form and show the record sheet to a staff
member at the Children’s Desk. You will receive a book bag that will be
yours to keep!
- After every 100 books are read and recorded, return to either
Library location. At the 200, 400, 600, and 800 levels of participation,
your child will receive a free paperback book to keep for your home
- When you complete the 1,000th book…..CONGRATULATIONS!! You will
get a choice of a free hardcover book to keep for your home library.
- Prizes will be awarded until September 30 of your child’s
- As you read books to your child, you are giving them the gift of
your time, language, and a love of readin
A special thank you to Wong Herbert Yee, celebrated local author and illustrator of Fireman Small, for providing us with original graphics and allowing us to quote his work for our 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten early literacy program.