If using a browser: Users go to ivox.libraryideas.com.
Users will be prompted for their zip code or city. After entering that information, they will be asked to choose their library from a list of other possible libraries. They then enter the library card number and PIN (or email address and password) associated with their library account. They can then choose books to checkout and download.
If using an app: After downloading and opening the app, users will enter their zip code or city and choose their library from a list of other possible libraries. They then enter the library card number and PIN associated with their library account. They will then be able to browse and choose books to checkout and download from the virtual iVOX library shelves.
What are the differences between using iVOX in a browser vs. using the iVOX app?
The main benefits to using iVOX in a browser are that no device is needed and that iVOX titles will be as large as the display. However, users must be online at all times when using a browser, and the manipulation of the image isn’t quite as intuitive, since it involves using the mouse buttons and the scroll wheel. The main benefits to using the iVOX app are that downloaded titles are available when not online (users must be online to check out and download titles) and that manipulating the images are as simple as manipulating the device.
- Clicking or pressing on a title’s front cover will bring up a short synopsis and the option to either check out the title or cancel and go back to the main Library page.
- If “Check Out Now” is selected, and an app is being used, the title will begin downloading immediately. It will then load. (If a browser is being used, the title will not download at all, it will simply load.)
- Once a book opens, a short tutorial will play showing how to use iVOX. If a browser is being used, there is an introduction on how to shift viewpoints.
Users press the forward arrow next to the book cover and it will start playing automatically.
- Sound effects signal users when it’s time to turn to the next page.
- Selecting the forward and backward arrow keys allows users to move through the book. Selecting the replay button returns the book to the beginning.
- Users can toggle between play and pause at any time, and can change their viewpoint of the title by manipulating the device (if using the app) or by using the mouse buttons and scroll wheel (if using a browser).
- To exit out of book, users can simply select the Library icon. This will get them back to the main book selection screen, where they can select a new title or select the downloads icon (orange circle, image of a book with a down arrow on it) to see what books they have checked out and when they expire.
- Books downloaded when using the iVOX app are accessible in the app even when the device is offline. When using iVOX in a browser, the user must be online at all times for iVOX to function.
How are iVOX titles returned/deleted?
Users can return their checked out books at any time, which will also delete them from the app. (Books are never downloaded in the browser, and so don’t get deleted when accessing iVOX with a browser.) From the Library home screen, users can press the downloads icon (orange circle, image of a book with a down arrow on it) in the upper right corner and then select the book(s) they would like to return and remove from their device.
Why is iVOX not working?
It could be that the patron’s device isn’t compatible with the app. All iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire devices should work with the app, but older models may not have the processing speed capable of supporting the animation. The user might have entered their library credentials incorrectly. If the user isn’t connected to the internet, they will not be able to checkout and download titles with the app or use iVOX with a browser at all.
If you were not able to find a solution in the above Frequently Asked Questions, please contact us and give us a detailed description of your question and we will work to resolve your problem!