Your Farmington Community Library Card gives you access to everything in our eLibrary and Online Learning Hub, lets you login to your FCL account on our Library Catalog to check out items in any of the Library’s collections, and allows you to rent meeting spaces for gatherings at either FCL location.
Your FCL Card also give you special discounts to places and activities throughout the community!
Who can Apply for a Library Card?
Anyone who lives, works, goes to school, or owns property in Farmington or Farmington Hills may apply for an FCL card. You may apply online for an FCL Card by filling out the online form on our Library Catalog. You will be given a card number via email.
To receive your physical FCL Card, visit either Library location and bring one of the following forms of identification:
- A valid photo ID such as a driver’s license or state ID showing residence in Farmington or Farmington Hills
- A Valid Photo ID and a recently postmarked gas or electric bill, mortgage papers or rental agreement with your name and Farmington or Farmington Hills address
- Proof of employment in Farmington or Farmington Hills and a valid photo ID with your current address
If you need assistance getting a card, please contact the Circulation Department. Accommodations can be made as needed.
FCL is Fine-Free
We do not charge overdue fines on late items. This policy ensures that all community members have equitable access to items in the Library’s collections. Our fine-free policy means:
- There are no daily overdue charges on late items
- You are still responsible for returning your items; Items that are overdue by 45 days or more are considered lost items and your account will be charged for the cost of replacing that specific item*
- Returning a lost item will remove the item replacement fee from your account
- Damaged items can also lead to replacement fees on your account
- Once an account reaches $15 in lost or damaged item fees, your account is put on hold until a payment is made
*When fees on a patron’s account exceed $25 for more than 21 days, a third party agency notifies the patron and requests payment. An additional $10 fee is added at this point as a service charge.
Please note: Items that are checked out using our Interlibrary Loan Service (see below) have different guidelines and may include overdue fees because they are items coming from other libraries.
Renewing & Returning Items
Renewing a loan on an item means that you are extending the amount of time you may keep an item that you have checked out. To renew an item, log into your FCL account on our Library Catalog, visit either Library location, or call (248) 553-0300.
All items may be renewed up to 3 times (unless it is on hold for another patron) except:
- Your Lucky Day Books & DVD’s (items that are brand new releases that cannot be requested online. They are available at both locations on a first-come first-served basis).
- Electronic Devices
- Board Games, Puzzles, and Educational Kits
All items (including interlibrary loan items) can be returned inside each Library location during operation hours, or by using our item return chutes located outside of each building:
FCL Farmington Hills: The item return chute is located on the east side of the building that faces the Post Office.
FCL Farmington: There are two outdoor item drop off options for this location. The first is an item return box located on the driveway right between the Library building and City Hall. The second is only available outside of operation hours and is an item return chute that can be accessed on the east side of the building facing the parking lot.
Interlibrary Loan Services (ILL)
Is your Library a part of The Library Network (TLN)? If so, you can use your home library card to access FCL’s physical collections. Together these libraries offer a large selection of items available for library cardholders of TLN member libraries to checkout.
FCL Cardholders can also search through the Michigan eLibrary Catalog (MeLCat) and place items on hold from libraries all throughout Michigan.
Find more information about Interlibrary Loan Services at FCL here.