The Farmington Community Library offers you free access to over 3,300 downloadable audio books from the Metro Net Online Lending Library (OverDrive).. (In addition, the Library has nearly 15,000 audio books available for check out, most in CD format, with some on MP3 discs.)
Downloadable audio books come in either of two formats, depending upon whether the producer uses digital rights management (DRM) to protect against misuse of playback rights or not.
DRM-protected audio books are in WMA (Windows Media Audio) format.
A WMA Audio Book title is a digitally-protected audiobook that has been optimized for download. This format greatly enhances the sound quality for desktop listening, play of CD copies (where permitted by the publisher), and portable device use.
The other format is MP3, which does not use digital rights management.
MP3 Audio Books are Audio Books that you can check out, download and listen to on Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Mac, Windows, and Windows Mobile using OverDrive Media Console. On Windows and Mac, you can transfer OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks to supported devices and burn them to CD.
Both of these formats:
- Require OverDrive's downloadable Media Console to be installed on your computer (Windows or Mac). OverDrive's the Quick Start Guide, tells you how to download, install and activate this free software on your computer, which is necessary to implement downloading of Audio Books as well as transferring them to devices other than your PC.
- You can then listen to the titles on your computer, and burn some to CDs.
- Most titles can also be transferred to other devices, such as smartphones or tablets, including Apple products.
- OverDrive's Help Pages cover most questions and problems.
The Help Pages answer almost every conceivable question regarding devices, downloading, compatibiltiy and incompatibility. The Device Resource Center covers compatible and incompatible playing devices, and a large assortment of frequently-asked question. It also includes detailed information on how to test your device for compatibility with their Audio Books.
- You can "check out" (download and use) up to 10 titles for 10 days.
- OverDrive provides automatic check-in. You need to then delete the title from your PC and%or player device.
- Renewals are not possible. You need to check in a title, and then check it out again.