The Quakers who were the first settlers in the area were not long in establishing schools in the Farmington area. In the mid-1820s Nathan Power was first to teach school. The first female teacher was Parley Mead, who taught at that time during the summer term. Education on a larger and more organized scale began in 1830. The largest early school was the Union School serving all grades in "downtown Farmington." Before long, a larger Union School was built in 1888. Children in the outlying areas attended one-room schools such as the German School on Middlebelt north of 13 Mile, West Farmington School at the corner of Halsted and 12 Mile, and the Nichols School at the intersection of Farmington Road and 13 Mile.
vView the Slide Show..
(It is suggested that once the show loads, you press the F11 key to view it in full-screen mode.)
See Also: A History of Education iin the Farmington Community< and Nathan Power's Pride: An Historical Overview of the Farmington Schools 1944-1988.