Browse / Search Our Digitized Historical Publications

Browse / Search Our Digitized Historical Monographs

In 2004, under the sponsorship of the Farmington Friends of the Library, the first phase of an extensive Digitization Project was begun to provide online access to important parts of the collection, including a dozen and a half historical monographs. Most of the monographs were published by the Farmington Hills Historical Commission.

Since the Monographs were digitized in Adobe Portable Document Format (pdf), they can be viewed using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, and searched with its CTRL+F searching function, or you may employ the Search Engine created for the digitization project. These are the digitized historical monographs:

Browse Historical Monographs (Below) or Search Historical Monographs

Briggs, Kathryn.  Farmington Area Cemeteries The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1995.

Dermody, James.  "Communism" Comes To Farmington: The Workers Camp. The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1993.

Ellis, Adam and Paul Romine.  Before His Time: Fredrick Maltby Warner The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1999.

Fox, Jean M.  Farmington Centennial Families The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1978.

Fox, Jean M.  Letters from 1860: The Howards of Farmington The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1994.

Fox, Jean M.  Marcus Burrowes, English Revival Architect The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1992.

Architect Marcus Burrowes (1874-1953) was known for his English Revival style buildings in southeast Michigan during the 1920s and 1930s. Burrowes designed five residences in Farmington, including the Spicer House, the Kirby White house and the Goodenough House, now the Farmington Community Center.

Fox, Jean M.  Memories of North Farmington The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1994.

Fox, Jean M.  P. Dean Warner of Farmington The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1992.

Fox, Jean M.  Tracking the Underground Railroad The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1994.

Golden, Brian M.  The Magical History Tour of Farmington Hills and Farmington The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 2000.

Kingsley, Marion  Farmington, Michigan: How We Got Here and Why We Stayed The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1968.

Peckham, Erika  History of the Farmington Post Office The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1993.

Steele, Frank  The Old Mill The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1993.

Strye, Stella  The Religious History of Farmington The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 1978.

Waters, Harley  Farmington, Michigan in the Early 1900s (from the Enterprise Newspaper Articles Written by Harley Waters in 1960) The Farmington Community Library, 2009.

Willyard, John  The History of the Wixom Inn The Farmington Hills Historical Commission, 2002.


Local Histories

This growing collection of digitized Local Histories owes its existence to the meticulous and ongoing work of our Heritage Room Volunteers—Beverly Lancaster. Doris Pichner, Ruth Stiegel and Mary Yarger—without whose dedicated efforts access to and the substance of most of the Library's digitized treasures would not be possible.
Thus far there are three important Histories available:

P. Dean Warner was an astute businessman, banker, and civic leader in, Farmington. He came to the area with his parents in 1825, when he was just three years old. He left home when he was 14 and lived in Detroit, attending school in the winter months. He returned to Farmington in 1845, where he lived for the rest of his life.

Warner used records kept over the years as to the settlement of early Farmington to write articles, which were printed in the Enterprise about 1899. Subjects covered were early settlement, settlers by years, farms purchased, early elections, names of those holding political office, assessments, churches, and organizations.

The newspaper articles were cut from the Enterprise, and the columns were pasted in an "Order Book" by P. D. Warner. Corrections had been written in the columns, making some of the information difficult to read. Now dark with age, the columns were digitized in 2009 for the benefit of historians and genealogists. Farmington Community
Nathan H. Power, in collaboration with his good friend Governor Fred Maltby Warner, wrote seven brief histories helpful to Farmington historians. In addition to early Farmington, Power also wrote brief biographies of P. D. Warner, Fred Warner, and Dr. Wixom. The writer mentions the current date of 1921 in this collection of papers, just two years before the death of the former governor.

These articles were found pasted in an "Order Book" that also contained newspaper clippings written by P. D. Warner of early Farmington. Power's handwritten copy was transcribed, with the typed copy shown at the bottom of each page.
This collection of newspaper articles gives the reader a glimpse of the settlement of Farmington Township beginning with the arrival of the Arthur Power party in 1824. The snippets retyped were chosen to provide a variety of information about early buildings and businesses, schools, churches, and the Quaker cemetery. Also selected were newspaper articles, particularly reminiscences, giving the reader an insight to what life was like in Farmington throughout the years. Some snippets were news of the day, while others were written from an historical point of view.

Farmington Online Genealogical and Historical Indexes

About These Indexes

These indexes were hand-compiled by Volunteers in the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room and members of the Farmington Genealogical Society. They are made available in an online version hosted by the Farmington Community Library.

The Obituary Index

The Obituary Index contains name, date of death (may be calculated, and/or approximate), source of the obituary, date of the obituary, and page number where the obituary appeared. A separate table lists maiden names and the page number where they appear in the printed version of the index which is available in the Heritage Collection. The obituary index can be searched by last name, first name, soundex code, and date of death.

The Surname Index

The Surname Index contains a compilation of names which appear in church records, newspaper articles, biographies, names of local cities, towns and lakes, family group sheets, land conveyance records, marriage notices (1940–1959), obituaries, photocopied obituariesFuneral Home Records, and wedding and birthday notices held in the Heritage Collection of the Farmington Community Library. The index contains name, source, page, and in some cases a brief note.

How to Use the Indexes

Clicking on the Search the Indexes Tab, above, brings you to the Search Tool . The Search Tool Screen looks like this:

Image of Search Tool screen

The Obituary Index can be searched by last name, first name, soundex code, and date of death.

An Obituary Index Search returns this result:

Obiturary Search Result

You can click on the hyperlinked result—and it is important to note the section and page Number—and be taken to the first page of that issue. Use the menu at the top of the page to navigate to the page needed for the obituary, which page can then be downloaded or printed as a .pdf.

Other Indexes will display in their search results references to other tools—primarily print—that are available in the Heritage Room of the Main Library.


FCL Heritage Collection: Local Telephone Directories (Searchable)

Once a Directory appears on-screen, you may search for names or terms by pressing Ctrl+F and entering your term(s) in the search box at the top of each Directory page.