Masthead Image

Historic Farmington Hotels, Inns & Taverns: A Slide Show

You may wish to press F11 to view this show in full-screen mode.

 
Hide Thumbs First Previous Pause Next Last
Slideshow speed: 5 seconds
 
Move
Intro
  • Intro
  • Weston House
    In 1836, Orrin and Allen Weston built a large family home/inn named the Weston House alongside what would become the Grand River Turnpike. Photo 1878..
  • 16 Mile House
    Stephen Jennings purchased the inn in 1841 and renamed it Sixteen Mile House as it was 16 miles from Detroit. John Claugherty purchased the inn in 1849. Photo ca. 1924.
  • Milton Botsford becomes the owner (mid-1800's)
    In the mid 1800’s Milton Botsford became the owner. Although faster railroad transportation resulted in a decline of overnight guests, Botsford was successful in promoting the inn as he hosted special events.
  • Botsford Inn with Detroit United Railway Tracks in foreground
    Notice the Detroit United Railway tracks running in front of the inn.
  • Botsford Inn: also a Milk Station!
    From 1900 to 1930, as the DUR passed by Botsford Inn, the inn also became a milk station, with farmers shipping milk to Detroit on the DUR.
  • Purchased by Henry Ford in 1924
    The once busy Botsford Inn would probably have fallen to ruin had not Henry Ford purchased it in 1924.
  • Remodeled by Henry Ford
    Ford first moved the Botsford Inn back several hundred feet. Extensive remodeling was done. The Fords operated the Inn until 1951.
  • Purchased by John Anhut (1951)
    John Anhut purchased the Botsford Inn in 1951. Fine dining was enjoyed at the Botsford Inn as one can see by looking at this 1967 menu.
  • Additions made undeer John Anhut
    During John Anhut’s ownership, two large additions were added to the Botsford Inn, quadrupling its original size
  • 2008: Sold to Botsford Hospital
    In 2008 the Botsford Inn was sold one final time to Botsford Hospital, who needed land for construction of a treatment center.
  • Grace House Hotel
    The Grace House was a hotel operated by B. F. Grace, and the rates were the same as those of the Owen House across the street operated by Eugene Grace.
  • Grace House Hotel (II)
    Public dances were given on the third floor of the Grace House, and children were put to bed in one of the rooms. It was demolished in the 1960s.
  • Farmington Hotel (Owen House)
    In 1850 Horace Swan built the Farmington Hotel on what is now the SE corner of Grand River Ave. and Farmington Rd. It was later named the Owen House
  • Farmington Hotel becomes the Owen House
    The Greek Revival structure, named the Farmington Hotel was renamed the Owen House in the early 1870s when L. D. "Daff" Owen purchased it.
  • Owen House Remodeled
    The Owen House was remodeled twice. After the second renovation, it "lost" its Greek Revival style. Wide porches with easy chairs welcomed travelers.
  • Owen House
    Bruce Owen (Daff's son) was operating the hotel in 1891. One day he left, leaving his wife Minnie to care for the children, the hotel, and her blind father-in-law.
  • Owen House
    Minnie Owen later married Eugene Grace in the left background. Bruce Owen is on the right in the buggy. Photo taken during happier times in the Owen marriage.
  • Owen House
    The Owen House was not just an inn for travelers, but it also served the Farmington residents with many dances and other gatherings.
  • Owen House
    This Owen House photo was taken prior to the 1900s, as the date on the Lee Harness building in the background at the right is 1899.
  • Owen House
    Guests could enjoy a bowling alley built by Eugene Grace in the Owen House. An ice storage room at the end of the barroom ensured the guests a cold beer
  • Owen House
    The Owen House benefited by having a DUR stop at its corner. The "Farmington Stop" was identified by the leaning post at the corner. At that time, the road intersecting Grand River at the location was called Division Street.
  • Owen House Advertisement (1910)
    This advertisement was copied from the March 10, 1910 issue of the Farmington Enterprise newspaper.
  • End of the Owen House
    Prohibition followed by the Depression in the early 1900s was disastrous for hotels. The once popular Owen House was demolished in the early 1930s.
  • Philbrick Inn / Tavern
    The Philbrick Inn / Tavern, 26007 Power Road, was built in 1827 by Quaker Nathan Philbrick. It may have been used as an underground railroad station. It is now a private home.
  • Wixom Inn (Walker Inn)
    The Wixom Inn, formerly the Walker Inn was built about 1830. Robert Wixom purchased it in 1845. Located on Grand River near where 10 mile veers west by southwest today, it reverted to a family home in the late 1870s.

Intro