The Library is excited to offer the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program that will encourage you to read to your child and help them be better prepared for school.
• Visit either branch of the library, fill out a registration form and turn it in to a staff member at the Children’s desk.
• Along with an informational booklet, you will receive a record sheet for the first 100 books. You also have the option of using the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten app. (Search your app store for “1000 Books”)
• Just read! Librarians will be happy to help you find great books at the library, or you can read from your home library. Rereading the same book counts! Be sure to mark a space on the record sheet for every book read or record the title on the app for every book read.
•Once you have read the first 100 books, return to the library and show the record sheet or the app to a staff member at the Children’s Desk. You will receive a book bag that will be yours to keep, and a record sheet for the next 100 books.
• After every 100 books are read and recorded, return to either branch of the library. At the 200, 400, 600, and 800 levels of participation, your child will receive a free paperback book to keep for your home library.
• When you complete the 1,000th book…..CONGRATULATIONS! You will get a choice of a free hardcover book to keep for your home library.
• As you read books to your child, you are giving him/her the gift of your time, language, and a love of reading.
• Prizes will be awarded until September 30th of your child’s Kindergarten year.
A special thanks to Wong Herbert Yee, author and illustrator of Fireman Small, for providing us with original graphics and allowing us to quote his work for our 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten early literacy program.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten would not be possible without the support of The Friends of the Farmington Community Library.